Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Running, its about the Journey - not the destination.

Both races I have participated in this month have served as reminders for this - the first being my first Trail race and 25K the Lake McMurtry trail race put on by TATUR - the Race Director TZ (Trail Zombie) did a good job of a post race blog using several pics we (Susan, Nicole and myself took) so I will just direct you over there clicky here. Our small contingent of runners had one goal in mind - to finish last. Susan and myself had a half in Big D (Dallas) the following week and did not want to injure ourselves...  but as any trail runner will tell you its not a trail run till you fall - and I took a doozie - landed face first - new camera toppled out of my pocket and disappeared. I discovered this about a mile later with a 4 mile loop to go. I faced two choices - turn back and find it or finish my loop and then look for it. As I already had a blister forming on my left foot I chose to finish my loop and head back out. I also picked up
the pace a bit and was able to keep ultra runner and uber fast TATUR Stormy in my sights for maybe a mile - no small feat since he runs at roughly half my pace... I finished that loop rather quickly all things considered and shockingly enough I did locate my new and missing camera with a triumphant YAHTZEE!!! I then wandered my way back to my tail companions I had left in the dust in my rush to locate said camera. Our goal of being the last finishers was achieved - my time was 5:44:00. And I was nursing some terrific blisters to boot.  But this race coupled with A2A 14 days prior was enough to get me into the Half Fanatics as Asylum number 935. I took a day off from training to allow my feet some recovery before Bif D.

Saturday morning Susan and I departed for Dallas after eating breakfast at Ihop - where I was lucky enough to contract food poisoning - yay. After feeling queasy for about 3 hours of this drive a healthy puking inside the Texas border and all was right with the world. We got to bed at a decent hour - while my little brother Matt danced the night away at his Sr prom. He picked me up at my hotel at 6:35 in the AM and we were off to the race! This was to be Matt's first half and his longest run to date - the previous being a 5 miler.



And this is where the big sister camera monster comes out to play. Its ok his mom's a photographer - he is used to it!

We took a quick pic to send to the family pre race.

Matt asked where his OSU shirt was - oh yeah. That made me so proud ;-) after all what do you wear to TX? I wear my colors - ORANGE AND BLACK!

 These were taken at miles 4, 7, and 9.  This was my slowest half finish yet but the heat and humidity were the main factors - not my bother. He wanted me to go faster but I just didn't have it in me the weather was at least 20 degrees hotter than what I have trained in and my energy was zapped. To be perfectly honest it was the first time I have started a race and already wanted to quit. Having him there prevented me having that option.  We finished with 3:19 ish times and me nursing 3 new blisters and 2 toenails threatening to disappear... as of today I suspect only one is a goner.
It was pretty cool crossing the finish line and putting the medal on my kid brother.

After the race there were showers on hand and we all felt a bit more human after taking one. 


Matt took a quick nap while we waited on Brian to finish the full. Yes this was my slowest half to date and the conditions were not idea, food poisoning, humidity, heat....

But in spite of all the difficulties I faced this is my most memorable, most proud race I have ever run.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails