Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hot Topic, Shoes.

Now that I am a 'runner' (I still find it odd to call myself a runner - more of a person who happens to run...) people ask me to recommend running shoes quite often - by people I mean friends, family, and acquaintances... truth is, I don't know. What works for me may not work for you. Every time I am due for new shoes (every 300 to 500 miles, and yes I track my mileage) I go in and get fitted for new shoes by someone who truly knows what they are doing.

First you take off your shoes and stand still, they look at your feet. Then they have you walk so they can see if your feet roll or pronate. Do you need a stability shoe? They factor in details like weight. Then they will come back with about 4 shoes of different makes and models for you to try. When I say try I mean it - run in these shoes get a feel for how they will preform daily. A good running shoe for me requires no break in time and feels 'right' the second I slip it on.

It is no secret where I recommend you go to get fitted (ala Runners World Tulsa) but there are many reputable running stores to check out. Please do not just run into Pennys or Academy and grab a shoe at random. Before I was fitted for running shoes I had awful back pain (this was the first 2 months of my couch to 5K experience) once I got new and proper fitting shoes that went away instantly and has not returned. Trust me - get good shoes, you will never regret it.


image taken from www.cartoonstock.com

2 comments:

T Z said...

Extremely good advice. Wrong shoes makes so many new runners QUIT! The right shoe is like an old friend. They'll never do you wrong.

The Stones said...

Agreed! Kathy was great when I got fitted and my knee pain is pretty much non existent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails