Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I know I am slow on the update from the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon.

First allow me to point out that the race was delayed a hour due to cloud to ground lightening. The near by church opened its doors as shelter to thousands of runners as we waited out the worst of it. 





Finally it was time to make our way to the start line. 


and it rained.


and rained


The firemen participated in full gear.


David and I ran most of the end of the race together, and we were lucky to have his wife Julie catch up to us during her relay.





It was a very hard race for me. At mile 3 I had a asthma attack. And no I do not carry a inhaler. By mile 8 my hands were numb and pulsing. They ceased to work all together. At mile 10 a kind lady retied my jacket to my waist because it was sliding down. I spent many of these miles running with my hands above my head in a 'I surrender' fashion, it was the only way to make them hurt less. After I crossed the finish line I went to the medical tent where I was treated for hypothermia.  I walked the mile back to our hotel still being pelted by rain. Once in the hotel I stood fully clothed in the shower until I was warm enough to undress. Not a ideal race by any means, but one I will never forget.



I was so happy I had both my smurfs and my snuggie.... even today I don't have full feeling in my left hand. But I don't care. I finished.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails