Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Lets talk safety, namely running safety.

ID’s when you go running lets face it. You likely carry as little as possible I know I do. I never carry my Drives License (largely because I will forget to put it back in my purse). I do have my Road Id. I never , ever run with out it. It has contact information, medical history, and insurance info too! If you run on roads, trails or in actual organized races you need this.

Visibility. During the summer this is not as big of a issue, mainly due to the fact that we have more daylight. But you still need to be seen! When possible buy gear with reflective 3M tape. Run facing traffic if you are on the road. Cars do not always watch for you but you can anticipate what they will do if you watch them.

Group Runs. There is safety in numbers. Try to find a group to run with. You are less likely to be attacked in a group or with a dog. If you do not run in a group bring your cell phone and run with mace at the ready.

Trail Etiquette. This is one of my 2 running pet peeves. When running on a trail, it is just like being on the highway. You always run to the right. Not down the middle. There is another running store in town that holds training runs and on more than one occasion I have nearly been forced off the trail because they will not abide by this little norm.

My second pet peeve? Ipods. Do I run with mine? You bet! But I never, ever wear both headphones. Runners need to be aware of their surroundings. Is there a bike whizzing up behind you and about to plow you over? Is there a siren? Is someone yelling for you? Are you about to get brained by a frisbee from frisbee golf? Runners should be aware of the surroundings at all times.

I commend everyone of getting healthier! It is even being stated that regular exercise may prevent Alzheimer’s. Just remember to think about safety while you are out there!


photo taken from http://www.greatrealtyusa.com/realtors/OK/Tulsa.htm

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails