Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The St Patricks Day 5K Tulsa OK




photo courtesy of Brian at Runners World Tulsa

After just 8 weeks myself and 33 other self identified 'couch potatoes' stepped out from our training with Coach Kathy and took part in our first 5K.


For most of us this was our first public effort in 'running'. Sure we have been training on the mean streets of Tulsa OK but this was a whole new deal complete with starting pistol and timers.

I had trouble sleeping both the Thursday night before the race as well as the Friday night before the race. Thursdays dreams primarily focused on one reason or another that I would be unable to complete the race, while Friday was just a series of 2 hour  naps. 

At the race my group of running buddies lined up at the back of the pack, and we were off. I was amazed that I ran nearly the entire first stretch from Runners World to KJRH. I was feeling really good the first mile. Then came that hill. That hill is hardly noticeable as you drive north on Peoria. As a runner tho you see that monster well before you hit it. If you are towards the back you even see a swell of runners going up the hill to the turnaround and coming back.  Let me tell you that hill was every bit the beast I anticipated from a distance. The down hill wasn't as bad and almost enjoyable.

By the time we reached the old Delta Cafe on Peoria I was pretty much toast. It was a fight to keep moving. But keep moving I did. Admittedly there was likely more walking than running during the main part of Brookside Proper.

It was as I have repeatedly said a huge help to be running in a group where everyone encourages each other. I know had it not been for my fellow 'Changelings' (the name of my running group) that I might not have had the strength to keep going. We cheered for each other as we passed on the course, we stood and waited to cheer as each of us crossed the finish line and as the last of the Changlings came in we walked out to meet her and bring her in with the group.

Changelings, Couch to 5K'ers we did it. We finished our first 5K! Time to start trimming our times in anticipation of Aprils 5K be it the OKC or the Remember the 10, this is just the start.

Kathy and Brian thank you so much for setting us off with the right tools and the right direction. You have changed many lives.


One thing to add: group: 169 overall: 1536 women: 810 Laurie North East OK age: 28 time: 46:32 pace: 9:19

2 comments:

Lisa D. said...

congrats! you did it!!

Anonymous said...

A huge congratulations to you and the group. You did it!!!!!! Keep working it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails