Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Go Crazy or Go Running


In light of our lovely Snowmageddon (aka a frickin blizzard) that included a record snowfall of 14+ inches of white fluff. My four wheeled baby (a light duty rear wheel drive SUV) is rendered unusable and making it down to Runners World is just not happening unless Dad is running too - but he is recovering from the flu. Boo. Running with my buddies is out.This revelation did not make me happy - I like running with a group, not so much alone. 

After the hour drive home from my office (10 miles) in Dad's '82 AMC Eagle aka the Arctic Cruiser (yes until I get a Jeep my Dad drives me to work in icy weather). I have a pretty bad case of cabin fever- the snow has been mostly fluff and to dry to have a decent snowball fight or go sledding so I needed some outside time. I walked in to the house, had a brief conversation with the hubbs and that was it I needed to run.


I HATE running my neighborhood - its pretty much one of my least favorite ideas. Today tho I REALLY didn't care. I laced up the new kicks (Asics GT-2160's) and pulled the Yak Trax on over them. That and my neoprene face mask by Zan Headgear and I was off.. 3 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of socks, 3 shirts, Brooks Utopia Hoodie, ipod, garmin, road id, and head lamp and I was off.




It was BY FAR the most fun neighborhood run I have EVER had.  I still prefer my running buddies but this was good and challenging - no 'slippage' was to be had but the traffic presented a challenge. Any time I was sharing the road with a car I decided to take to the 'fluffy bits'.


Fluffy bit running pretty much sucks. its squishy, uneven and easy to roll a ankle - kinda like wet leaves on the trails. I preferred to stick to the ice path.


As the sun went down and my primarily light was my headlamp it was easier to see which was which and the auto traffic died down considerably. At 2.5 miles I was tempted to keep going but had told hubby I would not do more than 2 so I turned home...

Overall the Yak Trax did a VERY good job on my run and I got some compliments from people shoveling their drive way who stopped me to tell he I had their respect..  If you havent tried running in bad weather give it a whirl. At this point I see it as a rare treat...

Maybe I am crazy, but hey - I still got my run in!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails