Why?

In the past ten years I have been up (240) and down (135) the scale time and again. This time I am on the 'up' side of the scale. I want to loose the weight. I figure the humiliation of putting this on the internet and the friends that I have told of this to hold me accountable just might make this happen. It is going to take a lot of encouragement and support. Not to mention the hard work on my part. Follow my struggle here.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Distance, not time. Distance, not time.

Ok so this running in the summer thing is just not making me happy. I still like to run but I hate, hate, hate seeing my miles take longer now that I have been a runner for almost 6 months. It annoys me to no end that the people I was running next to are now able to push harder and run faster. So what do I do? Push too hard and nearly make myself ill. I know logical right?

I have also noticed if I hang back as the groups start I feel a need for speed and go out to hard too soon. This doesn’t work either. I give out even quicker. It is like I am constantly playing a head game with myself.

Last night I tried to beat the game, and to a certain extent I did. I started off on time, did my planned warm up, and ran at a comfortable pace for me. My usual group caught up and then passed me – then the evil gremlins started to creep in. I did my best to beat them off. I wanted to run hard and keep up but knew that in the end this would help no one. It wasn’t easy to choke this down, but I stayed at my own pace and ran the majority of the route (which I haven’t been able to do since the temps began to climb in May). I finished with a sense of accomplishment.

Until I got home and reviewed the days data… 17:35 pace ?!? What the frack!?! I am not ok with this!!!! To say the least I feel the need for ‘some’ speed! I had been doing closer 10 12 or 13 minute pace but I get with heat that the pace was going to suffer but this bad? Come on!

2 comments:

T Z said...

Laurie, just found your blog and linked it to the zombie blog. Please don't beat yourself up with your pace concerns. Not every run is a great run. But every run you DO is better than one you DON'T DO. People progress at different rates. We're not all cookie cutter duplicates. Just embrace your running for the joy of running--remember the health benefits, gloat a little on your improvements, enjoy your running friends. This running thing is a great habit and we'll still be out here lugging along when we're in our 80s.

laurie said...

Thanks T Z, I have a hard time remembering these little details. It helps to be reminded from time to time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails